Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Weed's cheaper than therapy.

As always - Comment, and I will check out your blog and do the same.

When you first see a psychologist, there's an overwhelming feeling that the odds are stacked against you. And oh, how they are. You're facing some serious issues in your life, and when it gets to the point where you're willing to pay $100 an hour to learn how to deal, you've admitted to yourself how desperately helpless you are. You're vulnerable, and the person who's supposed to help you practically has a degree in manipulation. Good luck?

This doesn't really have a point. I was only in therapy for a month, primarily because my counselor was trying to convince me that I was fixing my depression and anxiety by tapping my eyebrows and bending my arms into certain positions. She was very insistant on the healing effects of these exercises, and in a way, they helped. Just like it would have helped if she'd given me a bottle of sugar pills labeled Prozac. But ultimately, the sessions were just giving me more reason to avoid the roots of my problems, and I became less confident in my ability to cope. Realizing that I didn't need voodoo rituals to solve my problems was a kind of therapy in itself. I know for a fact that counseling and therapy helps many people; to my mother, for example - her therapist has been a godsend for her over the past few years. I just wonder how many people are using therapy like a high dollar feel-good drug, and how many therapists are more than happy to play that role and take in the profits hand-over-fist.

9 Comments:

  • You know what my most eye-opening encounters with therapy and psychologists were? The moments I decided "To hell with this." Seriously, every time it turned out for the better.

    And they do stare, don't they? At one time in my life I spent quite a lot of hours with one that was probably only capable of that and nothing more. It was a great motivation to work on myself - either you work this out, either you're going to be stranded here for the next few months.

    By Blogger katja bach, at 1:07 PM  

  • I'm sure therapy can be helpful for some people, but it can also be a huge waste of time (and money).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

  • Good lord, yes. Pretending to sympathize is informally in the job description, and I'm not sure many shrinks know that the staring involved in feigning interest rapidly transforms from friendly to unsettling to downright creepy.

    By Blogger Triptrain, at 3:01 PM  

  • Here through Nobody...and glad I haven't ever needed (or needed & just never gotten?) therapy...

    By Blogger Tug, at 6:28 PM  

  • I'm sure Tug has needed therapy. Positive of that. (gee, I hope she doesn't this...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 PM  

  • Be careful who you rent from...anyone who reads Nobody's blog will wind up needing therapy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM  

  • Yanno...for 5 bucks and a pepsi I'd have been much cheaper.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 AM  

  • Blogarita is right. My blog is so boring that it will drive you insane. I know that because the people keep coming back, and since the blog is boring they must be insane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:13 AM  

  • One of my sisters went through therapy and it didn't help her at all. She did quit smoking weed awhile ago, so maybe there lies the problem?

    It is cheaper!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home