Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Of softball, my arch-nemesis.

I have to do softball again this year in order to graduate, which is basically a vague form of corporal punishment. It wouldn't be unfair to say that for every time I manage to hit the ball with the bat, I'm hit by the ball and walked to base twice. Coaches frantically rotate their pitchers, praying for one to find my batter's box and retrieve an easy strikeout; disgruntled fans shout at the ref, She's trying to get hit! She's jumping into it! Strike! Strike! I emerge victorious and take my base, thankful that the pain was brief and that my trial is over.

For the inning.

Ugh.

I'm one of those kids who always got the B+ in PE for sucking up and "good effort." Physically, I'm not built for sports: I'm wideset, somewhat heavy-chested, and I teeter on two stick-like legs that can barely support my 125 pounds. Mentally, I'm sports-retarded; during my first softball game (after I was hit by the ball, of course), I ran to the left and went straight from home to 3rd. The poor refs were confounded; my flustered coach yelled at me to for-the-love-of-God STOP. If you can, try to imagine me teetering along on my little legs to 3rd, with my coach fuming, both teams staring on in shock, and the parents in the stands whispering quietly amongst themselves, "It's so nice that they let the girl with down syndrome play."

So I'm looking forward to another year of that.
Woo-hoo. The nice thing about it is that my teammates love me, they really do; anyone looks better when playing next to me, and that's a much-appreciated role in the world of semi-competitive girl's sports. I think it must be easier to pity me when I've got a dozen softball-sized bruises running all up and down my left side; if the ball didn't put them there, my team probably would.

7 Comments:

  • Actually, I've got a new game plan this year. I'm going to see if I can't wander into oncoming traffic and get hospitalized before the season.

    By Blogger Triptrain, at 6:31 PM  

  • You write pretty well for someone with downs. I would have never known. LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 PM  

  • No matter what your body shape, there's a sport for you out there- just not softball! At school, we played something similar in the UK called Rounders - smaller bat and smaller ball, but still hurt if it hit you! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    By Blogger weenie, at 1:27 AM  

  • Ah high school, I think its where the phrase "what doesn't kill us mkaes us stronger" comes from!

    By Blogger Pause, at 8:38 AM  

  • My dad couldn't accept the fact that I disliked playing sports when I was a kid. He was a shortstop and apparently a decent baseball player. So I played little league and was the laughingstock for about 4 years. I think the last year I played was the one where I got a ball in the eye during practice. I remember walking off the practice field talking to a friend and the next thing I knew I was on my hands and knees, blood pouring out of my nose. I had a pretty good black eye.

    What does this have to do with your post? Nothing really. But I'm sorry you have to play softball if you don't want to.

    By Blogger DadGuy, at 4:23 PM  

  • So in other words "keeping your eye on the ball" doesn't always work huh?

    *snickers*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:17 PM  

  • never mind - soon youll leave softball behind and needn't look at it ever again!

    By Blogger Nothing, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home